This is an important tool to have for reliable varroa monitoring. It provides beekeepers a way to diagnose varroa infestation levels quickly and effectively. We recommend all beekeepers to have one of these.
- Quick and easy to use
- Durable, leak-free lid
- Molded guide lines on basket to measure 200 or 300 bees
- Basket with holes on sides and bottom for varroa to fall through
- Transparent bowl allows for accurate and reliable sampling.
- Washing fluid such as winter windshield washing fluid (containing alcohol); or rubbing alcohol diluted with water at a 1:4 ratio.
- The washing process can make the bees quite irritable. We recommend to wear protective clothing, including gloves.
Number of mites = % Varroa infestation
3 for 300 bees (1/2 cup)
2 for 200 bees
(adjust according to sample size)
e.g. If you have 16 mites then you divide by 3 to get percent infestation, and you are just over 5% and would want to treat them. We recommend staying below 2-3% during spring/summer and below 1% during the fall going into winter.